Terms & Conditions of Supply
Postal damage and loss
Gadget XChange pays for standard postage via our freepost system, if it is a small item we will send a pre-printed freepost jiffy bag envelope for you to put your item in and post to us. For larger items we will still send you a freepost address label, but you will be required to provide your own packaging to get the gadget safely to us.
Gadget Xchange will not take any responsibility for the loss or damage to gadgets before receipt at our premises. We therefore recommend that you send any high value units via registered post to ensure successful delivery.
We strongly recommend that all our customers pack their gadgets securely to minimise the risk of damage. The prepaid envelope does not guarantee that the gadget will not be damaged in the post.
To receive the full value of your gadget, it should:
- Power-up (turn on) and be in a working condition.
- Carry out the task(s) for which it was designed. E.g. A mobile phone should be able to make and receive a call, a digital camera should take and store a photograph.
- Not have significant damage, although we understand it may have some mild cosmetic damage (general wear and tear) like light scratches or dust under the screen for example, things that can be cleaned or polished away with a little TLC.
- Have its accessories including the memory card if originally supplied with the gadget.
- Not be barred (if the gadget makes use of the mobile phone system) or liquid damaged.
- Appears in our online guide (although you can submit your gadget for valuation if it doesn’t appear and we may contact you with a possible valuation. (If we have not contacted you within 48 hours please assume we will not be able to offer you a value for that item).
If your gadget is tested and subsequently does not pass our valuation criteria (as explained during the order process) then we will offer you on of the following options:
A. Return postal service (currently charged at £4.99)
B. Recycle the gadget (currently Free of Charge)
C. At our discression we may provide a re-valuation which you will receive via your registered e-mail address and will need to be accepted or rejected by return of that e-mail.
By confirming your sell order you will need to tick the box indicating that you accept these terms and conditions (you will also have accepted these terms and conditions while registering your account). Please understand that if you refuse to accept these terms and conditions, you will not be able to place a sell order via our site.
How The Contract Is Formed Between You And Us
Our site is only intended for use by people registered with us and resident in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. At our complete discretion we may accept or reject orders from people outside of these territories.
You must own all rights, title and interests in any gadget(s) that you send to us.
Ownership of the gadget(s) will pass to us when we receive them, in accordance with these terms and conditions, and we have dispatched payment to you, when, hence, a contract will be formed.
The contract between you and us is binding on you and us and on our respective successors and assigns.
You may not transfer, assign, charge or otherwise dispose of a contract, or any of your rights or obligations arising under it, without our prior written consent.
We may transfer, assign, charge, sub-contract or otherwise dispose of a contract, or any of our rights or obligations arising under it, at any time during the term of the contract.
You may cancel the contract with us at any time up to the time when you send us the gadget(s) ("cooling- off period"), providing:
* the contract was negotiated and concluded exclusively by means of distance communication (including, but not limited to, telephone, letter, fax or email); and
* you are a natural person acting outside the purposes of any business.
When cancelling during the cooling-off period, you need not give us any reason for cancelling the contract, nor will you have to pay any administration charges.
To cancel the contract you must notify us in writing.
Other than if the gadget does not meet our terms and conditions (see below), this contract cannot be cancelled after you have sent your gadget(s) to us (outside the "cooling-off period").
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU ARE HAPPY TO SEND YOUR GADGET TO US AND THAT IT IS WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS TO DO SO.
By placing an order through our site, you warrant that:
* You are resident in Great Britain or Northern Ireland; and
* You are accessing our site from that country; and
* You are legally capable of entering into a binding contract; and
* You are at least 18 years old; or
* If you are under 18 years of age, that you have obtained your parent’s or guardian’s consent to sell your gadget to us for the sum indicated via our website.
You and your parents or guardians release us of any liabilities or claims that may arise if you send the gadget to us in breach of this warranty.
If you deal as a consumer any provision of this contract which is of no effect to a consumer shall not apply. Your statutory rights are not affected by this contract.
For the purposes of these terms and conditions, "consumer" means an individual who neither makes this contract in the course of a business, nor holds himself out as doing so, as defined by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
* By placing an order through our site, you warrant that:
* You are authorised to act on behalf of the registered business; and
* You are based in Great Britain or Northern Ireland; and
* You are accessing our site from that country; and
* You are legally capable of entering into a binding contract.
Selecting to package and post in your Gadget yourself will enhance the speed of the whole transaction hopefully resulting in you receiving your cheque quicker than waiting for Gadget Xchange to send you a freepost jiffy bag. Please also note that GX will only provide a freepost jiffy bag for smaller gadgets and would advice that you select to package and post in larger items yourselves.
Please make sure that you package your gadget(s) well in order to protect your gadget(s) from damage whilst in the post as Gadget Xchange will not accept any responsibility for damage in transit. We also advice that you use a recorded delivery with insurance option in order that you can track your parcel and in the event of loss or damage can recover your loss.
Prices offered on our website are subject to change at any time without notice.
When your order has been placed, the prices quoted are guaranteed for 10 days from the 'Order Approved' date. (This is the date on which we send you a confirmation letter and Freepost bag or address label.) If your gadget(s) are received after 10 days from the 'Order Approved' date, the up-dated, current prices will apply.
If a gadget fails to meet our terms and conditions we'll propose an adjusted price by email. If you choose to decline our new offer, we are happy to return the gadget. A delivery/handling charge will be applicable and will be payable prior to the gadget being returned. We have the final decision on all gadget values.
We check ALL received gadgets via CheckMEND to ensure that the gadgets that are sent to us are not reported stolen, for this reason we will not accept any gadget where the serial number is damaged, removed or not readable. We do this prior to confirming purchase. However, in the event that we become aware of any issues at any time, we reserve the right to withhold/cancel payment and you agree to co-operate with us and any authorities should we so request. If your gadget is found to be blacklisted and once checked with the relevant authorities and we are authorised to release the unit you will have 28 days to contact us and request its return. The cost of returning a blacklisted unit is £10.00 to cover handling and administration fees.
Each gadget which is received at our state of the art workshop and recycling centre is tested prior to payment. If on inspection we find that the model you had specified is not the same as the one sent to us, then we will confirm the correct model by email for you to accept the revised valuation offer. We understand this can often happen where models of gadgets look similar.
If we do not hear from you within 5 days we will automatically make this change and process your payment on the new model.
Depending on your re-valuation decision you will receive a cheque for the new valuation amount in full payment of your gadget. If you reject the re-valuation offer then choices A & B are then reinstated. If you have more than one gadget and you wish to have one returned and the value of the payment to you for the gadget which passed is greater than the payment of postage and handling to return the other gadget(s) back to you this cost will automatically be deducted from the final cheque amount.
Payment can be taken over the phone by credit/debit card or by cheque or postal order, details will be sent of the amount and how to make payment after receipt of your instruction to return your gadget(s)
If we do not receive a reply from 14 days of our last e-mail communication we will recycle your gadget(s) free of charge, it is therefore very important that your e-mail address is correctly entered in your account control panel.
Please ensure you remove your SIM card (if the gadget you are sending has the ability to use one) before sending us your gadget as SIM cards contain personal details. Gadget Xchange will not accept liability if SIM cards are sent with the gadget and any charges are incurred before or after receipt of your gadget. Unfortunately once we have received SIM cards we are unable to return them and they will be destroyed in such a way there is no chance of sensitive information being retrieved from them. Of course they will also be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
Please Note: Payment can only be made to the name and address given when you register.
Where possible we endeavour to make all payments within 3 working days from the day your gadget has been tested and confirmed to meet our terms and conditions. Payments will be sent to the name and address stored in your account. Payment will be sent via 2nd class Royal Mail post.
From time to time we will change the offer values of gadgets on the website with no notice. If you trade in gadgets we will pay the value on the date of trade.
All valuations include VAT at 20%.
If you have damaged your cheque you can have it reissued, free of charge, by e-mailing or contacting us by telephone:
If the damaged cheque is not received by us, a cancelation fee will apply and will be deducted from the re-issued cheque value.
If you have lost your cheque, you can request for it to be cancelled and re-issued. A cancellation fee will apply and will be deducted from the re-issued cheque value.
In the event that your gadget is lost in the post, then we will investigate on your behalf which could result in us making an insurance claim on your behalf.
* We encourage the return of original packaging, user manuals, software discs and data cables but they do not increase the value listed on the website.
* We recommend that before you send your gadgets to Gadget Xchange that all data is removed prior to sending it in to us, for example personal details, SMS, photos, games, songs or other data ("Data"). Gadget Xchange will not accept responsibility for the security, protection, confidentiality or use of such data. By sending your gadget to us you agree to release us from all and any claims, losses or damages with respect to the data stored or contained therein or on any media used in conjunction with the gadget.
Gadget Xchange makes sure that all customer data is handled in a secure fashion.
Events Outside Of Our Control
We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a contract that is caused by events outside our reasonable control or due to our compliance with any applicable laws or regulations.